Back Again

August 20, 2014 (Updated 8/24/14)

Hi

I have been working hard and traveling to Austin, TX and Seoul, South Korea. That took lots of time along with the special projects here at work.

Well I’m back and working on yet another version of my robot.

I was not happy with the base of my previous version.  Due to the steel  I used in construction it was too heavy (26+ lbs), hard to work with, cut and drill, and it was magnetic. Being magnetic means that it work cause my magnetometer (used for  direction sensing) to not work.

The new base will be aluminum. It will have an outer frame of 1″ square tubing. The deck will be 1/16 aluminum sheet I got from Surplus Gizmos. It is a lot lighter and easier to work with.

I am still trying to figure out how to mount the electronics and build the superstructure (I.E. Body). I hope to have the motor mounted and the base electronics in by the end of the weekend. I will post pictures then.

Apdate:Here are the pictures of the new base with the motors mounted. Also I have added ServoCity to the list of link. I was showing the parts I use from them to a co-worker on Saturday and realized ServoCity was not included. OOPS. Since I use their Actobotics Logo - page parts and they really deserve a mention.

JohnK

The frame is 1″ x 1″ Aluminum tubing. The deck is 5/64″ sheet. Size is 24″ x 24″

Top view of the lower base.

Top view of the lower base.

Bottom view of the lower base

Bottom view of the lower base

 

Motor Mounts

Motor Mounts

 

Close-up of motor mount - I used Actobotics clamp style swivel motor mounts.

Close-up of motor mount – I used Actobotics clamp style swivel motor mounts.