December 8, 2013
I have been traveling for the last month so things we pretty much on hold.
However I got lucky and got some surplus 14″x15″ steel prototype plates. These suckers are 1/8″ thick. This makes for a good base and frame. All the holes are tapped for #6-32 screws which makes life nice. They came with additional pieces that I will use to tie two plates together. There will be an upper and lower plate tied together. This idea is that this will be a self contained base that I can build whatever upper part I feel like and interchange uppers.
This shows the wheel mounted on the plate. I mounted the wheels inside the the edges for a cleaner look. I had to cut openings for the wheels. In 1/8″ steel it was no easy job. All the other holes were already in the plate.
(Those in the know may recognize these as VV bases. The were being thrown out so I got a couple.)
Here are the motors mounted on the plate. Notice the screws for belt tension on the outboard side. This may be modified later, but for now it seems to work.
I did a lot of work on Sunday mounting the electronics and power distribution. However I forgot to take pictures. I will take them tonight and post tomorrow.