More pictures

December 10, 2013

Hi again.

Last night I took some more pictures of the assembled base. I also weighed the base. It came out to 26+ pounds! That’s what 1/8″ steel will do for you! Now on to the pictures –

Views from the front, back and one side.

IMG_20131209_213757_146 IMG_20131209_213718_642 IMG_20131209_213907_580

Side close up.

IMG_20131209_213757_146

 

The back now has a power switch. Also the power bus connectors I got from Adafruit. They make one convenient place to hook the master 12V and Ground.

IMG_20131209_213731_697 IMG_20131209_213739_410

In the front there is a 5″ wide electronics shelf. It contains the Motor Processor (UNO), DRI0018 Motor Driver board, and a 5V power supply. The motor controller will communicate by I2C to whatever Brain is mounted to the upper. The upper portion is designed(?) to be interchangeable. I can put a Telepresence top on, a Manipulator arm, or a Machine gun :-). It is limited only by imagination. Currently I have a Bluetooth module on the motor controller to send commands to for testing.

IMG_20131209_213809_576 IMG_20131209_213835_875 IMG_20131209_213844_013

Well that is all for this year. I will be traveling and visiting the Colorado homestead for all od December.

 

Happy Holidays

and see you next year!

 

Back from traveI and MKIII is coming along

December 8, 2013

Hi again.

I have been traveling for the last month  so things we pretty much on hold.

However I got lucky and got some surplus 14″x15″ steel prototype plates.  These suckers are 1/8″ thick. This makes for a good base and frame.  All the holes are tapped for #6-32 screws which makes life nice. They came with additional pieces that I will use to tie two plates together.  There will be an upper and lower plate tied together. This idea is that this will be a self contained base that I can build whatever upper part I feel like and interchange uppers.

This shows the wheel mounted on the plate.  I mounted the wheels inside the the edges for a cleaner look. I had to cut openings for the wheels. In 1/8″ steel it was no easy job.  All the other holes were already in the plate.

IMG_20131207_195258_119

IMG_20131207_195230_764

(Those in the know may recognize these as VV bases. The were being thrown out so I got a couple.)

Here are the motors mounted on the plate. Notice the screws for belt tension on the outboard side. This may be modified later, but for now it seems to work.

IMG_20131207_204926_629

IMG_20131207_204902_983

I did a lot of work on Sunday mounting the electronics and power distribution. However I forgot to take pictures. I will take them tonight and post tomorrow.